A goitre is a swelling of the thyroid gland that causes a lump in the front of the neck. The gland secretes hormones that help regulate bodily functions, including metabolism, the process that turns food into energy. It also regulates heart rate, respiration, digestion, and mood.
Though some goitres could be assymp[omatic, the primary symptom of a goiter is the swelling in the neck.
Other symptoms include:
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Hoarse voice
- Dizziness when raising ther arm above the head
- Pain at the base of the neck
- Coughing for no reason
- Constricted feeling in the throat
- Mood swings
- Visible swelling at the base of your neck
- Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
- Puffy face
TYPES OF GOITRE
There are many types of goitre, and they include:
Colloid nodular goiter is the enlargement of an otherwise normal thyroid gland resulting fron lack of iodine, a mineral essential for the production of thyroid hormones. It is also called endemic goiter. When the thyroid gland is unable to make enough thyroid hormone, it may attempt to compensate by enlarging. It is common with people living in areas where iodine is scarce.
SPARODIC NONTOXIC GOITRE (SNG)
They are also benign and do not disturb the thyroid functions. The cause of a nontoxic goiter is usually not ascertained, though it may be caused by medications like lithium which is used to treat mood disorders like bipolar disorders.
It could be diffuse, uninodular, or multinodular, varying greatly in size at presentation and growth rate
Sporadic nontoxic goiter (SNG) is defined as a benign enlargement of the thyroid gland in a euthyroid subject living in an iodine-sufficient area.
TOXIC NODULAR OR MULTINODULAR GOITRE
This type involves an enlarged thyroid gland where the goiter forms one or more small nodules as it enlarges. One or more of these nodules produce their own thyroid hormone, in excess, causing hyperthyroidism. It generally forms as an extension of a simple goiter.
The main cause of goiters is iodine defficiency. Iodine is essential to helping your thyroid produce thyroid hormones. When you don’t have enough iodine, the thyroid works extra hard to make thyroid hormone, causing the gland to grow larger.
Other causes include the following:
Graves’ disease – This is when the thyroid produces more thyroid hormone than normal, which is known as hyperthyroidism. The excessive production of hormones makes the thyroid increase in size.
Cancer may affect the thyroid, which causes swelling on one side of the gland. Thyroid cancer isn’t as common as the formation of benign nodules.
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis pointsto thyoid not being able to produce enough thyroid hormone, causing hypothyroidism. The low thyroid hormone causes the pituitary gland to make more thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which causes the thyroid to enlarge.
Solid or fluid-containing cysts may appear on the thyroid and cause it to swell. These nodules are often noncancerous.
Some people develop thyroiditis, an inflammation of the thyroid that can cause a goiter. This is different from Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. One example is viral thyroiditis.
You may be at risk for a goiter if you:
- Are over 40 years old – Aging may affect the health of your thyroid.
- Are pregnant or experiencing menopause. These risk factors aren’t easily understood, but pregnancy and menopause may trigger problems in the thyroid.
- Have radiation therapy in the neck or chest area. Radiation may change the way your thyroid functions.
- Have a condition that decreases the iodine in your body.
- Are female. Women are at a higher risk for goiter than men.
- Have a family history of thyroid cancer, nodules, and other problems that affect the thyroid.
- Don’t get enough iodine-sufficient diet.
These herbs help to boost body metabolism as well as increase the iodine in the body, thus bringing goitre to a gradual end.
But where a severity of the goitre defies these home/herbal remedies, a very reliable pack that guarantees total treatment is recommended for the patient.
This goitre pack help treat goitre by;
- Fighting infections
- Improving boby metabolism which in turn ensures that the body functions return to normalcy
- Replenishing the iodine in the body
- Fighting inflamation
- Detoxifying the entire body
Order now for N40,000